At long last we are able to start creating a site programme - and this is where you come in.
Unless we have any unexpected delays, then Railway Gardens will open in June 2022. We’ll still have some work to do on the site – building the outdoor classroom and community allotment for example – but we will have useable outdoor and indoor space, including power, water, internet, accessible toilets, and a small kitchen. Hooray!
Although June feels like a long way away, it’s time to start building up a programme of community activities on the site, and we’d like to find out more about your ideas for two types of activity:
- Sustainable living activities run by Green Squirrel
- Community activities run by you!
You can share your thoughts on one or both of these online – read on for more – and you can also join us for a Coffee Morning on February 19th to find out more about the project and discuss your ideas.
1. What kind of activities would you like Green Squirrel to offer to help our area become more sustainable and better connected?
We are funded until September 2024 to offer free and low cost workshops and activities that support low carbon living skills, and skills for building an even stronger, more resilient community. What would you like to learn? Are there areas where you’d like to try something new, or build your confidence?
Please take a moment to fill in a short, simple survey to help us plan a programme that works for you and your friends, family and neighbours.
2. What kind of activities and events would you like to run on the site?
Thanks to funding from the National Lottery Community Fund we are able to offer community members free and low cost use of the site facilities, for both regular activities and one off events.
- Maybe you want to run a regular parent and baby group, craft club, a support group, a climate action group?
- Perhaps you want a space to get your small business up and running, holding workshops, classes, or fitness activities?
- Maybe you’re thinking about running socials – board game nights, open mic nights, supper clubs, or language cafes?
- Or maybe your group would find the space useful for holding meetings, AGMs, or away days?
- Or something else entirely!
There are some eligibility criteria for discounted use – such as whether you intend to make money from your activities – but even if you aren’t able to access the Free or Community Rate, you can still become a Friend of Railway Gardens for £6 per month, and receive a greatly discounted rate to hold events, classes, socials, workshops and more on site!
While things like arranging bookings for your event, taking payments, or running the events will be up to you to organise how you choose, we will provide everyone using the site on a regular or semi-regular basis with a full site induction to help you get started. We can support you with things like writing a risk assessment, recruiting volunteers, promoting your event, writing a funding bid, or planning for inclusive activities.
At this stage we’re inviting everyone to tell us about their idea so we can arrange a chat to find out more about what you’d like to do, and how we can best support you to make it happen! Please complete the form below to tell us about your idea, or if you would prefer you can email email@example.com to arrange a phone or zoom call instead.