As a follow up to our Powerful and Positive series we hosted two Climate Conversation Coffee Mornings as part of Great Big Green Week. We've shared the recordings here for anyone who couldn't make it.
We found these to be really valuable sessions, and it was great to hear from participants about their experiences. Some key points we discussed included:
- That we all share a lot of the same hesitations about having climate conversations, including fear of upsetting people, not knowing how to get started on such a complex topic, and wishing to avoid awkwardness! In particular many of us felt that there was an expectation that we should be ‘experts’ and have lots of facts and answers at our finger tips.
- The importance of being understanding of other people’s contexts and acknowledging that different things are appealing/ possible for different people. In situations where people are excluded from taking action it’s vital to listen and express solidarity.
- That we should value and aim for lots of people doing things imperfectly, rather than a small hardcore groups of perfectionists!
- Are emotional reactions to climate info – even negative ones – a sign of connection? Is it even possible to have conversation about this stuff without some level of emotions and disagreement? I wish we had had time to talk about these questions more!
- Talking to children about it is a whole other challenge – how can we be honest while supporting their mental health and equipping them with the tools to take action?
You can watch both sessions in full below. We’re also able to offer Climate Conversations sessions, tailored to your needs, for groups, organisations and businesses. Get in touch for chat!
Want to find out more about The Something Club?
The Something Club is our new online climate action community, launching November 6th.
Everyone is welcome, whether you’re worried about climate and nature breakdown and want to learn about solutions, or you’ve already taken steps on your journey and want to grow your skills and support others. Everyone signing up for our pre-launch mailing list will get their first month completely free – and we can’t wait to announce the programme for launch month in November, it’s shaping up to be really varied and exciting.
Pop your details in the form below to claim your free month – see you there!
I want a free month's membership to The Something Club
We won’t use your email address for anything else, and we will never share it with anyone.